Sunday, July 31, 2005

Trust a camp tailor!

To be honest, not being a particularly keen shopper and doing no research into what to get and where to go other than taking a business card for the highly entertaining Mr Xe from a drunken Austrian I can't complain at all. Add to that the fact it was quite a laugh and for under 40 pounds I've two perfect pairs of business trousers but I have to say, my jacket has some distinctly effeminate lines to it!

I love Vietnam! It's almost a shame I'm enjoying myself so much here as it makes the fact I've got to stop traveling in a little over seven days and start working all the harder to accept, all I really want to do is stay on the road.

AK-47s aren't that loud, a bullet going off in its chamber while you're holding it however is! Yes within under 24 hours of landing over here I'd found myself flying around Ho Chi Minh City on the back of a moped in a mental trail of Vietnamese sprawled over the streets carrying everything from building supplies to pigs and the extended family to giant blocks of ice on the backs of there little Hondas and taken the slightly dubious step of having a go with the infamous kalashnikov rifle.

So what else have I been up to, well... having visited the Cu Chi tunnels and the War museum at Ho Chi Minh City it's amazing the locals don't appear to hold any resentment for the Americans. (even if the average age over here is only 21 so few survive to remember the war) Both the tunnels and the museum told a horrific tale of the years of conflict and the after effects. Just the 30m or so I crawled down on of the surviving passages told me I wouldn't have lasted long as either the Viet Cong living down there for months on end or the US troops that had to go in effectively blind to try to drive them out.

And now I'm in Hoi An with my suit having taken the train up to Hue (where I met the amazing Thu -crazy women that runs bar and moped tour company-, raced around the countryside on more mopeds and tried and failed to drink the town dry) before taking a bus back down here and in a few hours I'll be moving on again heading for the beach at Nha Trang.

Hope you're all having as much fun as I am,

Jonathan
Internet Cafe
Hoi An
Vietnam