Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Back on the road (admittedly via a plane!)

Road kill can't be birds, don't know why that's the rule it just is. Following this simple rule the count for Tasmania was an impressive 88 corpses in just a couple of short days or 613km on the road. This figure included a great combination of the original and still favorite roo but also possums, feral cats, a Tasmanian Devil (TBC) and plenty of furry bloody messes.

Tasmanians, nice but odd, probably should say more but ... (sorry Simone!) Tasmania itself was great and although I was only there a few days I managed to drive almost a complete lap, explore a couple of national parks (Cradle Mountain and Lake St. Clair NP and Field Mountain NP) which were spectacular and wander around Port Arthur and hear just how badly the British Empire treated their convicts!

I was allegedly driving a car but the Mazda 121 appeared to of had it's engine replaced with a hair dryer, however the poor little thing out performed Brucetta for top speed, acceleration, having a hand brake and god knows what else! Talking of Brucetta I have good news and bad news. Even though I dreamed that her gearbox fell out from under her a few weeks ago I've since heard she made it to Cairns without a problem, unfortunately the lad who bought her off me only gave himself a day to sell it without transfer papers. She came to a terrible end passing away in a wreckers yard for $20, not the end you'd of hoped for for such a beautiful specimen!

Before leaving Sydney I had a couple of weeks after selling death so had a great time working as a counter balance for a forklift, not officially a legal way to spend a day but... and, king of jobs that surpasses even the heady heights of selling deaths, whisky bottle capping machine monitor, oh yes, I watched 12000 bottles of Duncan and Burns Scotch Whisky being capped over a 7 hour period, fun fun fun.

I also managed to find time to take a quick wine tour to the Hunter Valley while still in NSW. The Hunter Valley fulfills Australia's need to name things inappropriately as it really isn't a valley, admittedly there are hills about 30km apart there but... That said I had a great day there with flat mates from Bondi and made a valiant effort to drink too much wine and to throw boomerangs that sort of came back!

Only other news is that I managed quite brilliantly to get my surfboard home for free, would you believe it! I realised I couldn't carry her so on discovering it'd cost $300 to send her home and that I hadn't time to sell her I did my usual cat impression and landed on my feet. The wonderful, beautiful, intelligent and brilliant Jen (flat mate) who was heading back to the UK took her. Even better, as we got to the airport with only 30 min to spare (not entirely on purpose, d'oh!) they rushed her through and the rest is history... Happy days.

And that's me, I'm in Adelaide and was meant to be heading for Perth but instead I'm backtracking to Melbourne partly because I can and partly as I randomly bumped into George and Fred (who I lived with in Sydney) and they have a car comparable to Brucetta so it would be a shame not to give her a go!

Bye for now and stay in touch.

Jonathan

Backpackers
Adelaide
SA (final Australian State to be done!)