Monday, July 25, 2005

I need a holiday

After a stressful week or so of completing work visa forms, writing references (I mean requesting references) and searching the city for the post office all my education certificates ended up at I felt like I needed a holiday before starting work, so in a little over an hour I 'll be boarding a flight to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) in Vietnam.

I hope all you you in England are keeping well even with the acts of the morons that appear to be intent on ruining the summer in London. Oh and besides the Australian cricket team trying to steel the Ashes yet again I hope the London bombs are't messing up your summer.

In other news I've eventually resigned to the pressure and posted some pictures of my travels (well of me on my travels) on my blog, so herere the links
Africa, Oz and Asia
be aware, I've avoided the 21st century and so don't have a digital camera so these aren't my pictures therefore I'm not responsible for their piss poor quality.

Other than that I've spent the last couple of weeks continuing my exploration of HK and associated islands and their bars, cafes and restaurants. So far my eating adventures haven't gone far, best I can report is fish eyes but can't say I was overly impressed though I'm told they do get better, we'll see.

Here in HK I've managed to get myself invited out drinking and onto more junks to sail round the islands and to house parties to stay at until the MTR (tube system) closes which is always entertaining. I've also taken to playing squash most weeks with Sean and a couple of his work mates in a very half hearted attempt not to be the fat waster you'll see in the photos if you look at them!

In preparation for my job I've now had the fancies haircut of my life (or rather same old cut, fancy barber), on Sean's expensive (for me) advice I went to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel for a $250 trim which I have to say was nice. This was mainly because I went on a social with my new job a week or so ago to meet the whole team plus the clients from The Economist. Unfortunately I forgot it was a agent/client thing and went on to win the first game of bowls we then all played, d'oh! Thankfully no one seemed to mind and I sorted it out in the second game claiming beginners luck (without having to be a liar if I'm honest) and finishing nicely mid table.

Only other news is that as Sean and Bev have been in the UK for that last few days I've been dog sitting, fun fun fun. We both survived with only a few fights and minimal injuries but I feel I've earned my keep! And that's me so now to Vietnam.

Until the next time,

Jonathan

Honk Kong Airport
Lantau Island