Monday, June 05, 2006

Traveling in China

The journey to Guilin started fairly well, Meagan got me a bus ticket to Nanjing where I spent most of the day. I climbed the thousands of steps to the Mausoleum of Dr Sun Yat-Sen (founder of modern China) before then moving on to the Purple Mountain. I could've climbed that as well but instead took a 30 min chair lift to the top, took in the views of the city rode back down before heading to the airport where I picked up the ticket I booked online and checked in, easy.

Unfortunately I then got a call saying I'd not got a ticket.

After explaining I'd already checked I convinced the caller everything was ok only to be called back to be told I'd not paid, d'oh! I unchecked in then spend forever trying to get a receipt for the cash payment they wanted - apparently cash receipts are illegal in China but as I'd been told I'd paid on cc earlier... Eventually with 15 min to go before take off I got it and went to board the plane.

I've never had a plane be delayed, that is until now... Once in the air the lack of a hangover made it far better from my flight to Shanghai and after hours of turbulent flying we landed. Although I didn't understand the announcements it was clear something was wrong and eventually I discovered I was hours late and in the wrong city!

After another hour or so waiting outside the now closed airport I was taken to a hotel and after 3 hours there was woken and I guessed at the instructions to have breakfast, check out and then took a second delayed flight on to Guilin, woohoo. Having said all that I have admit I rather enjoyed the ordeal, getting by without understanding a word or having been understood the entire way!

Guilin was nice and I'd probably of raved about it had I not then taken a riverboat through some amazing scenery to Yangshuo. Yangshuo is fantastic.

In the three days there I saw an amazing light and water display, almost died climbing the moon hill in flip-flops, explored the 3km long water caves (also known as mud caves, apparently its good for the skin!) cycled around the mountains plus passing the nights away playing dice and having beer shot contests with the ever friendly locals. Oh yes, and eating a small yapper type dog, class!

And that was my little trip, having stayed away an extra day I took the night bus (with flat beds..) back to Shenzen then the KTR to HK I discovered a letter from the immigration office asking for more information (that landed the day I left, d'oh!) so need so sort that tomorrow, unfortunately it mean I'll probably not be working for a few more weeks but I'm sure I'll cope.

Laters

Jonathan