Monday, March 13, 2006

Back to Bangkok

Its jumping but not as we know it. I don't exactly know where the builders helmet was found but what started with a Belgium mate turning up at the hotdog stand with it ended with the police asking for our Hong Kong ID cards .....

Helmet heading as I think it should be called involved leaping off a short flight of steps while wearing said helmet with the intention of head butting a sign hanging some distance above and beyond them. All good clean fun I'm sure you'll agree but unfortunately a "disturbance" was reported causing us to make claims of being ignorant tourists and passports being in hotels then making a hasty retreat. Got to love Friday nights in HK!

Thailand Mk 2

When compared to my last trip to Bangkok this one was, as the locals would say, "same same but different". This time I was in Thailand to say hello and goodbye to Jen (flatmate from Sydney and wonderful savour of my surfboard) as she headed back to the motherland.

We did pretty much the same as last time I was out there though on this occasion we left the "bar" before ping pong balls were fired, unfortunately not before the string of razor blades were removed, I'll let you create that picture for yourselves!

Other than the show we did the tourist bit of visiting the big lying Buddha (46m long - yes that's big!) and the Wat Pho (big temple) as well as having a fantastic Thai massage that was just the right side of being painful, I'm now hooked. We also trawled the street markets to buy some fantastic bargains (got all sorts of cheap rubbish!) and once again fed a baby elephant.

Now scorpions, giant crickets and maggots may not be on the filthy clowns menu but are all actually fairly tasty when well seasoned, the worlds biggest cockroach however put my "hard to kill" theory in jeopardy.

I don't know how true it is but I've heard that the only creature on earth likely to survive a nuclear holocaust is the cockroach. In my book that means they're hard to kill, and the one I ate was a monster so should have been double brick hard. However although the exoskeleton made a satisfying crunch as I bit through it nothing could help the fact it tasted crap!

And now I'm back in the office and dreaming of hitting the road again so I best get on with some work the earn the pennies I'll need to fund my next adventure.

Bye for now,

Jonathan.


P.S. Congratulations Louise and Noreen or should that be well-done Craig and Brendan, good work!

Jonathan Partington
+852 6429 4092