Friday, June 02, 2006

News from the PRC

China’s internet connection and filters are worse than Zimbabwe’s, really.. I tried posting this three times and it's been blocked each time and I'm not even spreading cap1tal1st pr0paganda. This therefore the short short version posted in HK and backdated.

OK, Shanghai - loved it, Meagan (my Aussie mate from Africa that lives in China) met me off the coach and we did the full tour, Dongtai Lu antique (aka junk) markets, the Bund, drinks on the 87th floor of the Grand Hyatt, Yuyuan Gardens plus... eating ducks chins, following groups of people wearing their pajamas about town, crossing pelican crossings that gave you the green light to go but not the cars the red one to stop and riding a train (yes a train) down a pedestrian tunnel that closely resembled a kaleidoscope!

I then headed Huaian, Meagan's Chinese home town in the middle of nowhere. Now if the bus ride there wasn't enough (rolling pick-ups - would of been illegal to actually stop, more undertaking on the hard shoulder than overtaking and a 200 decibel horn going none stop) then the lengths Meagan and her 4 English teaching (none Chinese) friends have gone to to find fun there sorted it all out.

Drunken bowling, bouncy dance floors, late night karaoke, even later night BBQ'd meat (really didn't want to ask the origin...) along with sitting in on one of Meagan's classes, brilliant.

Apparently in the eyes of 18 year old Chinese girls, totally sheltered from the really world, and with the build up that I'm a successful marketing man in HK I'm very handsome. On top of that I achieved something no one that has very taught me would believe, I got a spontaneous round of applause for reading!!! I say again, I love China!

And then it was on to Guilin where I now find myself fighting with limited internet access, however the journey here is a story in itself so I'll save it for now.

Laters

Jonathan


Jonathan Partington
Internet cafe
Guilin
People's Republic of China
http://jonathanstravels.blogspot.com