Monday, October 17, 2005

China tripping

I know I've been saying its happening for a while but I can now say I'm 100% legal!!! A couple of weeks ago I took the train to Lo Wu on the Chinese boarder and passed through immigration and had my HK working visa stamped, happy days!

Now seeing as I made the effort of getting a Chinese visa to be able to leave HK and taking the 45 minute train ride up there it seemed ridiculous not to take advantage of the opportunity to take in a little prime Chinese culture, namely shopping for counterfeit goods!

Now I'm not a big fan of shopping but Lo Wu Commercial City is an "interesting" place to browse through for a couple of hours. It's the home to everything you could possibly want an illegal copy of (yes, I went to China to become legal and use the trip to smuggle illegal goods back into HK - nice!) so... Now I didn't go crazy but, on top of the standard instant DVD collection I picked up I made the important investment of about 75pounds to buy a set of Taiwanese fake Taylor Made golf clubs.

You'll note they are Taiwan fakes here, none of the rubbish knock offs China produces, these are high quality graphite shafted pieces of art, and having bought them I clearly had to try them out.... And so last Tuesday Sean and I took the ferry into China, found the country's hardest course (water and sand everywhere), hired caddies (oh yes!) and off we went.

I don't know but I think the caddies may have been laughing at us not with us as the first 4 balls we played were sliced dramatically and flew amazingly quickly into the lake were trying to play over to reach the fairway - not dream start!!! However, having banished our ridiculous jumbo sized drivers to the bottom of our rather funky fake golf bags the game got underway. I have to admit, the pro surfing tour hasn't called about my exploits in Oz but after last Tuesday I'm quietly confident the PGA as searching for my HK number!

Other than my two trips up into China and an accumulative time of 9 hours outside HK I've not done a massive amount. I've not quite moved out of Sean and Bev's place as yet but have found a flat and flat mate so just need to sort out the fine print. Sonny (Sean and Bev's dog) has become slightly less annoying by becoming slightly less of a dog I almost felt sorry for the mutt when he returned from the vet less two vital parts of his anatomy, haha!

And that's pretty much it, oh except that last Thursday I had the stressful obligation to spend a night in the VIP section of a lingerie fashion show. Free champaign and scantily clad models, what can I say, life is tough!

And that is it so, until the next time, bye for now

Jonathan

The Center
Central
HK