Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Hello Sydney, goodbye Brucetta

Well, I've arrived in Sydney and this is where the second part of my journey ends.

It's been along and not very winding road from Perth but after 17818km, over 547 dead roos, 4 run ins with the police (three due to my lack of care for Brucetta and one as I was drinking while sat on the bonnet in a no Alcohol zone), countless rocks (both for looking at and jumping off) and loads of "big things" made of fiber glass and concrete (including a big banana, a giant shrimp, huge oyster and god knows what else that Australians call tourist attractions) I've finally made it to Sydney

Brucetta isn't looking or sounding quiet as sprightly as she used to so not overly confident of being able to sell her on. That said I have religiously topped up the oil, checked the tires and water as well tying the bumpers back on with bits of string and acquiring a set of fluffy dice for the rear view mirror so you never know, here's hoping for a gullible gap year student!

After leaving Byron and getting drunk back in Brisbane for a few more days (for old times sake I headed south to the Blue mountains which, in my humble opinion are beautiful. The air feels alpine and the scenery of massive cliffs, waterfalls and eucalyptus forests takes some beating. Unfortunately being pretty much penniless I couldn't hang around for anywhere near long enough.

From the Blue mountains it was back to the coast to hit the bright lights of Sydney. On first seeing the harbour bridge and the opera house they some how didn't seem real. Having seen their picture everywhere I've been, and having traveled so far to get here actually seeing them seemed a little strange. That said they really are very impressive as is the rest of the city.

So what now, as I said I'm now fairly bankrupt so have to save a few pennies to continue the journey down through Canberra, Melbourne and Adelaide before crossing the southern deserts to get back to where it all started in Perth.

Though I was offered better paying work as a male prostitute (gay unfortunately - Kings Cross really is a lovely neighborhood) when drunk the other night I started some easily found warehouse work - very exciting - today as a stop gap until I can pull my finger out and get something a bit more permanent and better paid. Because of this new found work commitment I'm due to become a bit dull for the next few months (no witty comments please) so I wont even have this low standard of exciting news to pass on until I hit the road again but I'll be sure to keep you all up to speed on the highlights of Sydney.

So, until the next time I hope you're all having fun,

JP

Jolly Swagman Backpackers
Kings Cross
Sydney
NSW
Australia