Thursday, July 29, 2004

Jumping rocks!

Cairns, got to love it. So far in four days I've slept for about 8 hours, done a parabungy jump from 150m, a regular bungy jump, a 120km/h forest swing and leapt out of a perfectly good plane solo at 12,000 ft !!!

Though I made it here safe and well while heading for Cairns I discovered a third thing I hate - the roads in Queensland. Picture the scene, it's pitch black at about 8pm, the road suddenly becomes a single track (and this is the main east-west highway), there are roos everywhere and massive road trains come flying along them at 110km/h, not good! That said, either my DIY work on Brucetta has had the desired effect or the police are a little more forgiving so the only points of note on the 2.5 day, 2400km drive is a running total of 440 dead roos, 47 cows, 5 pigs, 3 snakes, a horse, countless furry bloody messes and four ugly chips in Brucetta's wind screen - wretched roads!

Oh yes, I was saying - I love Cairns!!! The first bungy was the parabungy which entailed being pulled behind a boat under a parasail to the height of 150m above the water then jumping out. Not entirely sure why but as I was the first to go I asked if it would be possible for them to make me hit the water, and sure enough I splashed down into the brine up to my shoulders!

The second jump was off land so more of a ground rush and even though everyone following me on the parabungy didn't think it was a good idea to hit the water, I tried it again from the jump platform, dropping at break neck speed into a pool of water before being catapulted 80% of the way back up into the air before crashing back down to earth - sensational!

Now the forest swing was good, and jumping from 150m with nothing but a big elastic band for safety is great, but jumping out of a plane at 12,000 ft being tied to nothing at all is better! With just an hours sleep on Monday night the the 5 hours in a class room and 3 hours practical yesterday was a bit of a struggle but as death was mentioned at least every 5 minutes I managed to keep my eyes open so that at 9am this morning when I flew like a bird (admittedly a rather odd looking bird) I loved it!!! ....... words fail me but you all really must try it. The boys in point break have nothing on me! I just need to do the bank robbery thing and I'll be able to do the whole thing again!

And that's my new news, Irish girls I traveled over with were great value entertainment but have now met up with lad I did the West coast with again so think I'll stay here for a few more days then head south. Main planned stops look like being a sailing trip on a 83ft yacht around the Whitsunday Island, 4WD round Fraser Island and then on for a bit of surfing around Byron Bay - can't wait.

Hope you're all safe and well and out looking for things to jump off!

Laters

Jonathan.

The Asylum Backpackers
Cairns
Queensland
Oz