Thursday, April 29, 2004

More notes from SA

Greetings,

Ostrich tastes more like beef than chicken or at least the meat is more meaty than chicken and much more tender than beef. Sorry to of missed out that vital bit of detail last time!

Anyway... the hunt for the perfect wave continues, today finds me in Coffee Bay in a backpackers hostel right on Bomvu Beach (idyllic little beach like you'd find in Cornwall just with clear blue sky and sea and dolphins jumping through the surf!).

I am pleased to announce I have now caught my first wave off a point break on a short board!!! Unfortunatley having been sat on my arse in London staring at a computer and doing little else for months if not years I was exhausted after that and have done little else. (also have holes all over my feet from getting in and out of the sea off said points which are invariably v. rough rocks.

Think I'm going soft in my old age (or maybe the Larium's kicking in) but spent last night watching and listening to four African drummers and a fire dancer and wasn't compelled to make sarcastic remarks, bl**dy amazing what some people can do!

I'm actually running well behind schedule at the moment (even though I didn't actually have a schedule but had figured on being at a beach earlier) but Cape Town and more specifically Long Street Backpackers was too good to leave so stayed there an extra four days just chilling out having a laugh. Didn't go to Jeffries (J) Bay in the end as I was told the waves would be better here at this time of year.

Hope all of you in London went out and supported everyone running the marathon (congrates on the 4.25 Sam) and have big plans for the bank holiday. I can highly recomend the Wray Fair up in northern Lancashire on the Monday if you're free and in the area, it will have evreything you could dream of for a May Day fair and it wont get overrun with green lunatics!

No more especially unusual meats to report on though did have my first brye (don't quite know the spelling of the name South Africans give it but to you and me a barbarque with ridiculously large pieces of meat on it) and several dishes I'm told are local to these parts (AKA Africa).

Didn't eat it but I've also had a run in with a ring necked parokeet which is a bright green bird that can talk (a little), it befriended me on the first night here and now whenever I put on my Guinness top he coms over and sits on my shoulder (how cool am I!).

Needless to say I'm having fun and life is good (though I obviously miss you all terribly). Hope all is well back home.

Laters
Jonathan
Internet cafe
Coffee Bay
South Africa

PS. I'll say it again just in case, if you don't want spamming with news from an unemployed bum let me know and I'll stop your suffering!

PPS. Fun as e-mails with attachments and links to games are when trying to avoid work in an office they're a bit of an arse in Africa so if you can try to avoid sending them through to me I'd me most appreciative.
TTFN JP