Saturday, May 08, 2004

The journey continues ....

Hello there from Swakomund, Namibia!

Well, where was I? If memory serves last time out I was about to get on a bus from Coffee Bay back to Cape Town to then head up into Africa, I can now tell you that an hour and a half in the back of a pick-up and then 20 in a greyhound bus isn't the best way to spend a friday but having survived it life is good.

As I said I'm now in Swakomund (not sure of spelling) in Namibia and life is good. Yesterday we entered the Namib Naukluft park and very quickly found our truck having herds of Gemsbok (pronounced with a flemmy 'H' then 'emsbock'), Zebra, Springbok and ostrich. Also saw warthogs, black backed jackals, camels, a brown hyena, a kudu and a meircat all just chilling out by the dirt road.

To explain what's going on... I'm on a truck with 10 other people plus a guide type woman (Michelle) our driver Paul and a girl learning to be a guide (Lilly) and we are currently driving up through southern Africa. The people on the truck are all v. cool and the few long drives (10 hours over dirt roads) we've had and the bush camping has so far been a great laugh, long may it continue!

So what else has happened... I've visited Fish River Canyon (allegedly the 2nd biggest canyon in the world - it was big!), canoed 14 km down the Orange River from the Namibian boarder, swam in natural hot springs, dived head first down a 120m high sand Dune having watched the sun rise from the top of it and seen literally thousands of seals at Cape Cross which probably the most foul smelling place I've ever been to. I've also slept out under the clearest skies imaginable a few times, walked up the Seriem Canyon as the sun set almost into it and been on another wine tour drinking as much of SAs finest wine as possible!

And that virtually brings be up to now, tomorrow I'll be sandboarding and racing quad bikes over the dunes and from there I head east to Botswana then northwards but that's for another day...

Hope all is well where ever you're reading this from but if not I currently highly recommend an escape to Namibia!

Until the next time

Jonathan
Internet Cafe
Swakomund
Namibia
Southern Africa

PS. I'll say it again just in case, if you don't want spamming with news from an unemployed bum let me know and I'll stop your suffering!

PPS. Fun as e-mails with attachments and links to games are when trying to avoid work in an office they're a bit of an arse in Africa so if you can try to avoid sending them through to me I'd me most appreciative.

TTFN JP