Friday, June 06, 2008

and a ferry

Isn't it ridiculous that we only make the most of places once we know we're leaving. Ok so it isn't entirely true that I've not take advantage of what HK has to offer these past 3 years but this last month has been busy.

First off I found the theatre scene and so went to see what was probably the worse ever rendition of Macbeth (though still entertaining) and on the bright side it did help me learn that a bloke I play rugby with has an extensive collection of replica Scottish weaponry! Not to be deterred I talked the gang into trying again, this time with something a little more contemporary in Popcorn and have to say it was great! God bless am dram. There have also been a couple of trips to the local comedy club which is always a good laugh (as you’d hope) and last weekend I eventually went to Ocean Park to see the Panda’s.

May was also the month for the Asian 5 nations. We (HK not me personally if you were wondering there) played home games against the glorious nation of Kazakhstan and Korea and they were free to watch, happy days. Unfortunately we finished third overall with home results of a narrowly win and heavy lost respectively. Rather disappointing really especially as I know a few of the HK players from my club and they claim to be Asia’s 2nd team.

As the humidity has taken its annual jump into the 90s sport for me has got harder but have still managed a bit of 5-a-side footie and playing a bit of air-conditioned squash. Last weekend also saw me playing golf for the first time in a year, 14 of us took a bus up into China to play for the Red Jacket (too long to explain but beer and rugby related) and the JP memorial trophy (a cast of my face!). All good fun and after a 6:30 am start eventually ended in a night club in Wan Chai at about 3am, as any good sports event should.

The other recent serious social event was a BBQ/ party we held on the roof of my flat, it was a joint birthday and leaving do and involved the mother of all BBQ’s being bought (a four burner beast) along with the local supermarkets entire supply of steaks and sausages plus a couple of trolley loads of drinks. It raged from 1pm until 4am and I’ve been assured by the 60 or so people that tried to keep up with me and my two flat mates over the course of the day that a good time was had by all.

And… if you didn’t already know the leaving part of that party was for me. Yesterday was my 3rd anniversary in HK and I’ve been away from England for over four years in total (a lot longer than I ever planned) so a month ago I resigned and I’m coming home.

Today is my last day in the office and I then have until when Hannah arrives on Wednesday to tie up any loose ends and send all the junk I’ve accumulated home. The pair of us will then be using planes trains and automobiles (plus a ferry to get into China) to cross the 6000 plus miles that lie between HK and the UK, gong via China, Mongolia and Russia.

I’ll be having my final 5:01 club drinks tonight, I’ve organised a final junk trip tomorrow for one final back flip into the South China Sea and I’ll no doubt squeeze in a couple more final drinks before I go but my overseas adventure is almost over, for now at least…

JP

SMA, Thomson Reuters Office
North Point
Hong Kong SAR