Thursday, September 06, 2007

Happy Days

I'm sorry to say it but I have no exciting news to report at all, it's just all good!

My trip back to the motherland was great. In the midst of what's being reported as England's worst summer ever I had over a week of clear skies so spent a few beautiful days walking in the Lakes, had a few relaxing days with the family, several great days with Hannah, one big night out in London, grabbed a few hours with both my godson and Han's parents and went to what had to be the wedding of the year out in Suffolk. All in all a bloody good trip, the only problem was that 9 days just wasn't enough.

It's been rather manic since getting back. The new job is still going really well but I'd be a liar if I said they weren't making me work for my wage but I guess it staves off boredom. On top of that the footie and rugby season are just kicking off so I'm in sports mode most evenings and weekends.

As I've dropped the "the only gweilo in the office" thing at work it seemed time to do the same for my football team so, I'm now in a mixed, but rather more English speaking league which makes things somewhat easier and more sociable off the field. As for the rugby I'm back in training with Valley and the fitness work is killing me.

And that's about where I am. Tomorrow night I head to Bangkok on a brief rugby tour. I have to admit I'm feeling a certain level of trepidation ahead of this, partly due to how messy it undoubtedly will be but also as my left foot is currently rather bruised and very orange!

Unfortunately after an afternoon of beach based rugby training last Saturday we headed into town where I got the idea I could fly... on landing I realised I couldn't, hence the bruising. Now being only 6 days away from a rugby tour and with two footie matches to play in between I turned to the extreme measures of Mr Miyagi style Chinese medicine. All week I've been soaking my foot in a bucket of boiled up herbs and spices. Unfortunately without the clever lighting and an old man clapping his hands the only noticeable effect is the odd colouration and a new foul stench in the flat!

Between the tour and Bev (and Sean) due to drop any day I'm sure there'll be more next time so until then...

JP