Monday, May 28, 2007

Bueller

As was first cited back in 1986, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "

That said it's been a relatively uneventful month or so on many levels, there's been the usual lot of beach and bar based drinking, dragon boat training and sports plus a few notable visits, most recently from young Dominic (of past HK residency fame) and just last night John and Phil (from a whole life ago back at ATE).

But probably the biggest news is that yesterday I did a work presentation up in Beijing. It was my first trip to the nations capital but the fact I was only there a matter of 24 hours and saw very little isn't really of note (though did find time to visit Tian-anmen Square - its a very big square - and explore some dirty back street food markets). The reason its not significant is two fold.

1) I'll be back there on route to Tibet in a two weeks time so will see what there is to see then
2) I made this trip on my last ever day working for Ultra!

Yes, I'm escaping. Having resigned on June 1st and turned down all begged offers to try to keep me I was a little concerned they were planning to kidnap me as it seemed rather odd to have me present to a new client, up in Beijing, on my last day! That said as their only gweilo I guess I'm a rare resource that they wanted to take full advantage of me. I'm certainly not complaining, at the least I got a brand new 6 month china visa out of them for it!

Other than that as I said not a lots happened. The new job starts on July 9th when I'll become the regional marketing manager for a publishing company so hopefully there's a chance to travel my region a bit (Japan, Taiwan, Korea and HK).

Before then its the dragon boat race day on Tuesday, then I'll head to Cambodia to visit Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat followed by the slow train to Tibet with Sean on his last scrap of freedom the first week of July! Before all that - in a few short hours assuming there's not delays - Hannah will be landing back in HK to partake in another whistle stop tour or SE Asia so all go for the next few weeks!


More exciting news next time...


JP